Đề thi IELTS Listening Practice Personality Traits Vs Position In Family - Download PDF Câu hỏi, Transcript và Đáp án

Luyện tập đề IELTS Listening Practice với Personality Traits Vs Position In Family được lấy từ cuốn sách IELTS Cambridge 15 - Test 1 - Section 3 với trải nghiệm thi IELTS trên máy và giải thích đáp án chi tiết bằng Linearthinking, kèm list từ vựng IELTS cần học trong bài đọc.
Đề thi IELTS Listening Practice Personality Traits Vs Position In Family - Download PDF Câu hỏi, Transcript và Đáp án

👂️ Audio and questions

00:00
Question 1 - 6
What did findings of previous research claim about the personality traits a child is likely to have because of their position in the family?
Choose SIX answers from the box and write the correct letter, A-H
List of Findings
A
outgoing
B
selfish
C
independent
D
attention-seeking
E
introverted
F
co-operative
G
caring
H
competitive
1
the eldest child
2
a middle child
3
the youngest child
4
a twin
5
an only child
6
a child with much older siblings
Question 7 - 8
Choose the correct letter, A, B or C.
7
What do the speakers say about the evidence relating to birth order and academic success?
A
There is conflicting evidence about whether oldest children perform best in intelligence tests.
B
There is little doubt that birth order has less influence on academic achievement than socio-economic status.
C
Some studies have neglected to include important factors such as family size.
8
What does Ruth think is surprising about the difference in oldest children’s academic performance?
A
It is mainly thanks to their roles as teachers for their younger siblings.
B
The advantages they have only lead to a slightly higher level of achievement.
C
The extra parental attention they receive at a young age makes little difference.
Question 9 - 10
Choose TWO letters, A-E.
Which TWO experiences of sibling rivalry do the speakers agree has been valuable for them?
A
learning to share
B
learning to stand up for oneself
C
learning to be a good loser
D
learning to be tolerant
E
learning to say sorry

❓ Transcript

Personality Traits Vs Position In Family
00:00
RUTH:
Ed, how are you getting on with the reading for our presentation next week?
ED:
Well, OK, Ruth – but there’s so much of it.
RUTH:
I know, I hadn’t realised birth order was such a popular area of research.
ED:
But the stuff on birth order and personality is mostly unreliable. From what I’ve been reading a lot of claims about how your position in the family determines certain personality traits are just stereotypes, with no robust evidence to support them.
RUTH:
OK, but that’s an interesting point – we could start by outlining what previous research has shown. There are studies going back over a hundred years.
ED:
Yeah – so we could just run through some of the typical traits. Like the consensus seems to be that oldest children are generally less well-adjusted because they never get over the arrival of a younger sibling.
RUTH:
Right, but on a positive note, some studies claimed that they were thought to be good a nurturing – certainly in the past when people had large families they would have been expected to look after the younger ones.
ED:
There isn’t such a clear picture for middle children – but one trait that a lot of the studies mention is that they are easier to get on with than older or younger siblings.
RUTH:
Generally eager to please and helpful – although that’s certainly not accurate as far as my family goes – my middle brother was a nightmare – always causing fights and envious of whatever I had.
ED:
As I said – none of this seems to relate to my own experience. I’m the youngest in my family and I don’t recognise myself in any of the studies I’ve read about. I’m supposed to have been a sociable and confident child who made friends easily – but I was actually terribly shy.
RUTH:
Really? That’s funny. There have been hundreds of studies on twins but mostly about nurture versus nature…
ED:
There was one on personality, which said that a twin is likely to be quite shy in social situations because they always have their twin around to depend on for support.
RUTH:
My cousins were like that when they were small – they were only interested in each other and found it hard to engage with other kids. They’re fine now though.
ED:
Only children have had a really bad press – a lot of studies have branded them as loners who think the world revolves around them because they’ve never had to fight for their parents’ attention.
RUTH:
That does seem a bit harsh. One category I hadn’t considered before was children with much older siblings – a couple of studies mentioned that these children grow up more quickly and are expected to do basic things for themselves – like getting dressed.
ED:
I can see how that might be true – although I expect they’re sometimes the exact opposite – playing the baby role and clamouring for special treatment.
RUTH:
What was the problem with most of these studies, do you think?
ED:
I think it was because in a lot of cases data was collected from only one sibling per family, who rated him or herself and his or her siblings at the same time.
RUTH:
Mmm. Some of the old research into the relationship between birth order and academic achievement has been proved to be accurate though. Performances in intelligence tests decline slightly from the eldest child to his or her younger siblings. This has been proved in lots of recent studies.
ED:
Yes. Although what many of them didn’t take into consideration was family size. The more siblings there are, the likelier the family is to have a low socioeconomic status – which can also account for differences between siblings in academic performance.
RUTH:
The oldest boy might be given more opportunities than his younger sisters, for example.
ED:
Exactly.
RUTH:
But the main reason for the marginally higher academic performance of oldest children is quite surprising, I think. It’s not only that they benefit intellectually from extra attention at a young age – which is what I would have expected. It’s that they benefit from being teachers for their younger siblings, by verbalising processes.
ED:
Right, and this gives them status and confidence, which again contribute, in a small way, to better performance. So would you say sibling rivalry has been a useful thing for you?
RUTH:
I think so – my younger brother was incredibly annoying and we found a lot but I think this has made me a stronger person. I know how to defend myself
RUTH:
We had some terrible arguments and I would have died rather than apologise to him – but we had to put up with each other and most of the time we co-existed amicably enough.
ED:
Yes, my situation was pretty similar. But I don’t think having two older brothers made me any less selfish – I was never prepared to let me brothers use any of my stuff …
RUTH:
That’s perfectly normal, whereas …

🔥 Answer key (đáp án và giải thích)

1
G
Rút gọn

Giải thích chi tiết



Sau khi nghe "Like the consensus seems to be that oldest children are generally less well-adjusted" là biết đáp án chuẩn bị vào.



Sau đó nghe "they were thought to be good a nurturing – certainly in the past when people had large families they would have been expected to look after the younger ones" >

> chọn đáp án là G(caring).



Xem full giải thích
2
F
Mở rộng

Giải thích chi tiết



Sau khi nghe "There isn’t such a clear picture for middle children" là biết đáp án chuẩn bị vào.



Sau đó nghe "Generally eager to please and helpful"

>> đáp án đúng là F(co-operative).



Xem full giải thích
3
A
Mở rộng

Giải thích chi tiết



Sau khi nghe "I’m the youngest in my family and I don’t recognise myself in any of the studies I’ve read about" là biết đáp án chuẩn bị vào.



Sau đó nghe "I’m supposed to have been a sociable and confident child who made friends easily"

>> đáp án là câu A(outgoing)





Nhiều bạn sau khi nghe "I was actually terribly shy" thì chọn đáp án E(introverted)

>> nhưng ở đây đề bài muốn nói tới ý kiến của các bài nghiên cứu "studies" chứ không phải nói về bản thân tác giả.

Xem full giải thích
4
E
Mở rộng

Giải thích chi tiết



Sau khi nghe "There have been hundreds of studies on twins but mostly about nurture versus nature" là biết đáp án chuẩn bị vào.



Sau đó nghe "There was one on personality, which said that a twin is likely to be quite shy in social situations"

>> đáp án đúng là câu E(introverted).





Và nếu bạn nghe không kịp thì có thể dựa vào câu sau

>> Ruth đã lấy ví dụ về anh chị em họ "My cousins were like that when they were small – they were only interested in each other and found it hard to engage with other kids".

Xem full giải thích
5
B
Mở rộng

Giải thích chi tiết



Sau khi nghe "Only children have had a really bad press" là biết đáp án chuẩn bị vào.



Sau đó nghe "a lot of studies have branded them as loners who think the world revolves around them"

>> đáp án là B(selfish).





Nhiều bạn sau khi nghe keyword "parents' attention" thì chọn câu D(attention-seeking) n

>> hưng ở đây đoạn hội thoại đã nói là con một (only children) không cần phải tranh giành sự chú ý.

Xem full giải thích
6
C
Mở rộng

Giải thích chi tiết



Sau khi nghe "One category I hadn’t considered before was children with much older siblings" là biết đáp án chuẩn bị vào.



Sau đó nghe "these children grow up more quickly and are expected to do basic things for themselves – like getting dressed"

>> chọn đáp án C(independent).





Nhiều bạn khi nghe "playing the baby role and clamouring for special treatment" thì chọn đáp án D(attention-seeking)

>> nhưng ở đây, đó là ý kiến riêng, mong đợi riêng của ED chứ không phải các nghiên cứu.

Xem full giải thích
7
C
Mở rộng

Giải thích chi tiết



Sau khi nghe "Some of the old research into the relationship between birth order and academic achievement has been proved to be accurate though" là biết đáp án chuẩn bị vào.



Sau đó nghe "Performances in intelligence tests decline slightly from the eldest child to his or her younger siblings. This has been proved in lots of recent studies"

>> loại câu A(There is conflicting evidence about whether oldest children perform best in intelligence tests.) vì trong đoạn audio không đề cập tới những xung đột (conflict) diễn ra.



Khi bạn nghe "Although what many of them didn’t take into consideration was family size"

>> đáp án là câu C(Some studies have neglected to include important factors such as family size).



Xem full giải thích
8
A
Mở rộng

Giải thích chi tiết



Sau khi nghe "But the main reason for the marginally higher academic performance of oldest children is quite surprising" là biết đáp án chuẩn bị vào.



Nhiều bạn có thể nghe "I think. It’s not only that they benefit intellectually from extra attention at a young age" thì chọn đáp án C(The extra parental attention they receive at a young age makes little difference)

>> nhưng chọn C là chưa đúng do lý do này không bất ngờ, và đã được dự báo trước (which is what I would have expected).



Sau đó nghe "It’s that they benefit from being teachers for their younger siblings, by verbalising processes"

>> đáp án đúng là câu A(It is mainly thanks to their roles as teachers for their younger siblings).



Xem full giải thích
9
B
Mở rộng

Giải thích chi tiết



Sau khi nghe "So would you say sibling rivalry has been a useful thing for you?" là biết đáp án chuẩn bị vào.



Sau đó nghe "I know how to defend myself"

>> đáp án đầu tiên là câu B(learning to stand up for oneself).



Xem full giải thích
10
D
Mở rộng

Giải thích chi tiết



Nhiều bạn có thể nghe cụm từ "apologise to him" thì sẽ chọn đáp án E(learning to say sorry) nhưng ở đây Ed đã nói là anh ta thà chết chứ không xin lỗi

>> không học được cách xin lỗi với những vấn đề này.



Khi bạn nghe "but we had to put up with each other"

>> câu trả lời thứ 2 là câu D(learning to be tolerant).





Khi bạn nghe "I was never prepared to let me brothers use any of my stuff"

Xem full giải thích

Download PDF

Bạn có thể tải bản đẹp của đề và đáp án Personality Traits Vs Position In Family tại đây
Đề thi IELTS Listening Practice Personality Traits Vs Position In Family - Download PDF Câu hỏi, Transcript và Đáp án
Luyện tập đề IELTS Listening Practice với Personality Traits Vs Position In Family được lấy từ cuốn sách IELTS Cambridge 15 - Test 1 - Section 3 với trải nghiệm thi IELTS trên máy và giải thích đáp án chi tiết bằng Linearthinking, kèm list từ vựng IELTS cần học trong bài đọc.
Đề thi IELTS Listening Practice Personality Traits Vs Position In Family - Download PDF Câu hỏi, Transcript và Đáp án
Click để nghe audio
https://www.dol.vn/luyen-thi-ielts/ielts-listening-practice-personality-traits-vs-position-in-family-cambridge-ielts-15-test-1-section-3-questions-answer-key-audio-transcript-dap-an-giai-thich-chi-tiet-free-pdf-download#test-section-1?utm_source=PRACTICE_TEST_LISTENING&utm_medium=pdf&utm_campaign=PDF
Question 1 - 6
What did findings of previous research claim about the personality traits a child is likely to have because of their position in the family?
Choose SIX answers from the box and write the correct letter, A-H
List of Findings
A
outgoing
B
selfish
C
independent
D
attention-seeking
E
introverted
F
co-operative
G
caring
H
competitive
1
the eldest child
2
a middle child
3
the youngest child
4
a twin
5
an only child
6
a child with much older siblings
Question 7 - 8
Choose the correct letter, A, B or C.
7
What do the speakers say about the evidence relating to birth order and academic success?
A
There is conflicting evidence about whether oldest children perform best in intelligence tests.
B
There is little doubt that birth order has less influence on academic achievement than socio-economic status.
C
Some studies have neglected to include important factors such as family size.
8
What does Ruth think is surprising about the difference in oldest children’s academic performance?
A
It is mainly thanks to their roles as teachers for their younger siblings.
B
The advantages they have only lead to a slightly higher level of achievement.
C
The extra parental attention they receive at a young age makes little difference.
Question 9 - 10
Choose TWO letters, A-E.
Which TWO experiences of sibling rivalry do the speakers agree has been valuable for them?
A
learning to share
B
learning to stand up for oneself
C
learning to be a good loser
D
learning to be tolerant
E
learning to say sorry
Transcript
Personality Traits Vs Position In Family
Click để nghe audio
https://www.dol.vn/luyen-thi-ielts/ielts-listening-practice-personality-traits-vs-position-in-family-cambridge-ielts-15-test-1-section-3-questions-answer-key-audio-transcript-dap-an-giai-thich-chi-tiet-free-pdf-download#test-section-1?utm_source=PRACTICE_TEST_LISTENING&utm_medium=pdf&utm_campaign=PDF
RUTH:
Ed, how are you getting on with the reading for our presentation next week?
ED:
Well, OK, Ruth – but there’s so much of it.
RUTH:
I know, I hadn’t realised birth order was such a popular area of research.
ED:
But the stuff on birth order and personality is mostly unreliable. From what I’ve been reading a lot of claims about how your position in the family determines certain personality traits are just stereotypes, with no robust evidence to support them.
RUTH:
OK, but that’s an interesting point – we could start by outlining what previous research has shown. There are studies going back over a hundred years.
ED:
Yeah – so we could just run through some of the typical traits. Like the consensus seems to be that oldest children are generally less well-adjusted because they never get over the arrival of a younger sibling.
RUTH:
Right, but on a positive note, some studies claimed that they were thought to be good a nurturing – certainly in the past when people had large families they would have been expected to look after the younger ones.
ED:
There isn’t such a clear picture for middle children – but one trait that a lot of the studies mention is that they are easier to get on with than older or younger siblings.
RUTH:
Generally eager to please and helpful – although that’s certainly not accurate as far as my family goes – my middle brother was a nightmare – always causing fights and envious of whatever I had.
ED:
As I said – none of this seems to relate to my own experience. I’m the youngest in my family and I don’t recognise myself in any of the studies I’ve read about. I’m supposed to have been a sociable and confident child who made friends easily – but I was actually terribly shy.
RUTH:
Really? That’s funny. There have been hundreds of studies on twins but mostly about nurture versus nature…
ED:
There was one on personality, which said that a twin is likely to be quite shy in social situations because they always have their twin around to depend on for support.
RUTH:
My cousins were like that when they were small – they were only interested in each other and found it hard to engage with other kids. They’re fine now though.
ED:
Only children have had a really bad press – a lot of studies have branded them as loners who think the world revolves around them because they’ve never had to fight for their parents’ attention.
RUTH:
That does seem a bit harsh. One category I hadn’t considered before was children with much older siblings – a couple of studies mentioned that these children grow up more quickly and are expected to do basic things for themselves – like getting dressed.
ED:
I can see how that might be true – although I expect they’re sometimes the exact opposite – playing the baby role and clamouring for special treatment.
RUTH:
What was the problem with most of these studies, do you think?
ED:
I think it was because in a lot of cases data was collected from only one sibling per family, who rated him or herself and his or her siblings at the same time.
RUTH:
Mmm. Some of the old research into the relationship between birth order and academic achievement has been proved to be accurate though. Performances in intelligence tests decline slightly from the eldest child to his or her younger siblings. This has been proved in lots of recent studies.
ED:
Yes. Although what many of them didn’t take into consideration was family size. The more siblings there are, the likelier the family is to have a low socioeconomic status – which can also account for differences between siblings in academic performance.
RUTH:
The oldest boy might be given more opportunities than his younger sisters, for example.
ED:
Exactly.
RUTH:
But the main reason for the marginally higher academic performance of oldest children is quite surprising, I think. It’s not only that they benefit intellectually from extra attention at a young age – which is what I would have expected. It’s that they benefit from being teachers for their younger siblings, by verbalising processes.
ED:
Right, and this gives them status and confidence, which again contribute, in a small way, to better performance. So would you say sibling rivalry has been a useful thing for you?
RUTH:
I think so – my younger brother was incredibly annoying and we found a lot but I think this has made me a stronger person. I know how to defend myself
RUTH:
We had some terrible arguments and I would have died rather than apologise to him – but we had to put up with each other and most of the time we co-existed amicably enough.
ED:
Yes, my situation was pretty similar. But I don’t think having two older brothers made me any less selfish – I was never prepared to let me brothers use any of my stuff …
RUTH:
That’s perfectly normal, whereas …
Answer key (đáp án và giải thích)
1
G
Xem full giải thích
https://www.dol.vn/luyen-thi-ielts/ielts-listening-practice-answer-key-personality-traits-vs-position-in-family?questionNo=1&utm_source=PRACTICE_TEST_LISTENING&utm_medium=pdf&utm_campaign=PDF
2
F
Xem full giải thích
https://www.dol.vn/luyen-thi-ielts/ielts-listening-practice-answer-key-personality-traits-vs-position-in-family?questionNo=2&utm_source=PRACTICE_TEST_LISTENING&utm_medium=pdf&utm_campaign=PDF
3
A
Xem full giải thích
https://www.dol.vn/luyen-thi-ielts/ielts-listening-practice-answer-key-personality-traits-vs-position-in-family?questionNo=3&utm_source=PRACTICE_TEST_LISTENING&utm_medium=pdf&utm_campaign=PDF
4
E
Xem full giải thích
https://www.dol.vn/luyen-thi-ielts/ielts-listening-practice-answer-key-personality-traits-vs-position-in-family?questionNo=4&utm_source=PRACTICE_TEST_LISTENING&utm_medium=pdf&utm_campaign=PDF
5
B
Xem full giải thích
https://www.dol.vn/luyen-thi-ielts/ielts-listening-practice-answer-key-personality-traits-vs-position-in-family?questionNo=5&utm_source=PRACTICE_TEST_LISTENING&utm_medium=pdf&utm_campaign=PDF
6
C
Xem full giải thích
https://www.dol.vn/luyen-thi-ielts/ielts-listening-practice-answer-key-personality-traits-vs-position-in-family?questionNo=6&utm_source=PRACTICE_TEST_LISTENING&utm_medium=pdf&utm_campaign=PDF
7
C
Xem full giải thích
https://www.dol.vn/luyen-thi-ielts/ielts-listening-practice-answer-key-personality-traits-vs-position-in-family?questionNo=7&utm_source=PRACTICE_TEST_LISTENING&utm_medium=pdf&utm_campaign=PDF
8
A
Xem full giải thích
https://www.dol.vn/luyen-thi-ielts/ielts-listening-practice-answer-key-personality-traits-vs-position-in-family?questionNo=8&utm_source=PRACTICE_TEST_LISTENING&utm_medium=pdf&utm_campaign=PDF
9
B
Xem full giải thích
https://www.dol.vn/luyen-thi-ielts/ielts-listening-practice-answer-key-personality-traits-vs-position-in-family?questionNo=9&utm_source=PRACTICE_TEST_LISTENING&utm_medium=pdf&utm_campaign=PDF
10
D
Xem full giải thích
https://www.dol.vn/luyen-thi-ielts/ielts-listening-practice-answer-key-personality-traits-vs-position-in-family?questionNo=10&utm_source=PRACTICE_TEST_LISTENING&utm_medium=pdf&utm_campaign=PDF
Hãy cùng DOL khám phá kho đề thi IELTS Listening Practice với lời giải thích chi tiết ở đây ->
https://www.dol.vn/luyen-thi-ielts/ielts-listening-practice?utm_source=PRACTICE_TEST_LISTENING&utm_medium=pdf&utm_campaign=PDF